PERTUSSIS (whooping cough)
- 77 confirmed pertussis (whooping cough) cases have been reported in South Dakota this year as of 15 August 2014.
- Counties with cases: Minnehaha 19, Lawrence 17, Edmunds 8, Brown 6, Ziebach 4, and counties with ≤3 cases Brookings, Brule, Butte, Corson, Custer, Davison, Grant, Lake, Lincoln, McPherson, Moody, Pennington, Shannon, Spink, Turner.
- 70% of pertussis cases were children under the age of 15 years, including 6 infants.
- Individuals who still need vaccination are encouraged to contact their usual vaccine providers or one of the department’s local Community Health offices.
- Weekly pertussis surveillance summary (Posted 15 August 2014)